Wednesday, August 11, 2010

State of the Rig

So I thought I would update the status of how we game.

I recently purchased a new laptop and was able to move my old desktop PC out into the living room and hook it up to the TV. In theory, I can run Oovoo from the desktop to game with instead of having to hook up a laptop every weekend. This has also allowed me to implement a modern GM Screen.

While this may not apply to everyone, I think it can be very useful, so I'm including it in a post. The idea is to run Oovoo and Google Docs on the desktop that is permanently hooked up to the TV. I intend to control the desktop PC using remote access software from my laptop. This will allow me to display information for all my players to see on the big screen TV, while keeping my notes and plans on the laptop screen where only I can see them.

Additionally, I can hook up my iPod touch to the laptop and use that as a mouse to control either computers, or I can use it as a dice roller instead of rolling dice. Allowing for a more streamlined GM experience.

Of course this is all untested. I hope to get it tested before the game on Saturday and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes and what improvements I can make to the system.

2 comments:

  1. Ah technology... how far we have come. I am very interested to hear how all of this plays out. I have always thought that with the laptops and computers and new technologies could make gaming much easier. It all seemed rather complex and daunting at first glance though. All those mapping programs and toolboxes and things never seemed to be as "user friendly" as one might hope. I hope all this works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a number of mapping applications that allow for multiple and simultaneous user access. We haven't messed with any of them, although there are a few that I hear work well. Instead we run the battle through a spreadsheet in Google Docs. It does restrict the world to a rather boxy and grid like look, but a little imagination can take care of that.

    ReplyDelete