Monday, August 16, 2010

Technical Game Notes

The new rig went well. I realized that I could actually open up the maps in Google docs on both computers, and control both instances from the laptop meant I didn't have to remote into the big screen to control what the local players saw. That meant that the desktop didn't have to divert resources to allow remote access and made it run a little smoother.

I also had a wireless mouse and keyboard hooked up to the desktop so that the local players could move themselves around on the digital mat.

There were a few hiccups, the desktop kept going into a power save mode that was easy enough to fix.

On the human side, I was a bit rusty and somewhat scattered with my thoughts during the game. I've been absent from DM duties for a few months now, so it took me a little bit to get back into gear. From what I heard from the players, though they enjoyed it a great deal.

On Wednesday, there will be an early post with Brandy's perspective on her first game. Friday, I'll post my take on it and then we'll move back to more theoretical concepts and ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Aimee and I (the two gamers in Colorado) are also going to be moving to a computer hooked to a TV system. My combined birthday present from my family is going to be a bigger, better TV.

    We might look into a remote mouse and keyboard also, because monitor cables only go so far.

    I'm also interested in the idea of getting a microphone, so that the camera can stay far away the but sound quality is still ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The webcam I've been using is about 6 years old now and we sit a good 10 feet or so away from the TV and it seems to pick up our voices fine. Maybe check into upgrading your webcam?

    ReplyDelete