Friday, March 19, 2010

Designing the Campaign

So how do you design a campaign?

I can't attest to how others do it; but I design things very loosely. Before I start a campaign I usually have a very clear picture of how the game starts and where I would like it to end. Everything else is up to the players.

I have key plot points and events in my mind. A simple analogy come from video games. I have the cut scenes in my head; but the game play in between is up to the players. This allows me a good amount of flexibility for my player's hijinx.

Many of the people I gamed with early on had a rather negative opinion of "railroading." When the GM has a story to tell and, come hell or high water, it is going to be told exactly as they plan. When free will is removed, player's become incredibly spiteful and will go out of their ways to derail the story. Building in flexibility helps avert this.

Be free and accommodating with your story. If you plan an event and the player's go in a different direction; just find a way to work it in where they are. Done well, it presents a seamless world for the players to explore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment